Do you ever think, "I should use an essential oil for this," but then you're not sure which one to grab?
If so, you've come to the right place! We've compiled a list of some of the most common essential oils, and what they are best used for. We hope it can help you the next time you ask "Which essential oil should I use?" Also download our free guide, which you can print out or keep on your computer.
Best essential oils for common uses
Want to get a better night's sleep? Try these calming essential oils.
Lavender. Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils for a reason. It has a wonderful, rich, floral aroma, and is known to have a natural sedative effect. It's a great natural sleep aid.
Frankincense. Frankincense has a grounding effect, which makes it especially useful in meditating. It can help to calm and quiet your mind, which can help you get better, more restful sleep.
Patchouli. Patchouli is another oil which has a natural sedative effect.
Basil. Basil can be useful to help ease anxiety, making it a great natural sleep aid.
Our top picks for Sleep: Check out our discounted Sleep Set, which includes our Organic Lavender essential oil, and two of our organic blends, Good Night, and Relax, which are specifically formulated to help you get better sleep.
How to use essential oils for a better night's sleep.
- Try putting 1-2 drops on your pillow before bed
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle filled with water, and lightly spray your bedsheets and pillow
- Add 8-10 drops in a warm bath for a relaxing soak
- Add a few drops to your diffuser at bedtime
Want to use more natural products for cleaning around the house? Essential oils are a great way to clean your house naturally, because they have powerful cleaning properties, and they smell amazing!
Citrus oils. Lemon and Orange are two great oils to use for cleaning around the house. These citrus oils can cut through grease and grime. Plus they have powerful, wonderful citrus aromas, which leave your house smelling fresh and clean.
Melaleuca / Tea Tree. Tea Tree's powerful antimicrobial properties make it great for cleaning. If you don't love the smell, try adding other great essential oils for cleaning like Peppermint or citrus oils.
Our top picks for Cleaning: Check out our discounted Cleaning Set. It comes with 3 of the best organic essential oils for household cleaning.
How to use essential oils for cleaning around the house.
- Add a few drops to a bottle of water for an all-natural cleaning spray
- Create a sink or countertop scrub using 1 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup liquid castile soap, and 30 drops of essential oils. Try 10 drops of Tea Tree, 10 drops Orange, 10 drops Lemon. Or try your own combinations.
- Try these other great ideas.
Here are a few of the best essential oils to add to your skin care regimen, with powerful benefits.
Frankincense. Perhaps the most amazing benefits of Frankincense come when it is used for skin care. Frankincense can help to restore and heal damaged skin, including blemished skin or skin or new scars. It has even been known to remove warts.
Lavender. Lavender is a soothing oil that boosts anti-inflammatory properties in your skin. This makes it great to help with skin care issues like acne, dry skin, and wrinkles.
Melaleuca / Tea Tree. Tea Tree has antimicrobial properties, which means it can be great for helping to fight skin issues like acne.
How to use essential oils for skin care.
- Try adding a few drops to your favorite lotion or carrier oil of choice, and apply to skin to even skin tone.
- Try out our Frankincense and Clay Facial Mask
Feeling under the weather? Or trying to avoid feeling under the weather? Here are a few essential oils that are helpful for boosting your immune system.
Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is especially useful for opening your airways and helping you to breathe. And it has a fresh, clean aroma (think Vicks® VapoRub™) that helps yo.
Melaleuca / Tea Tree. Tea Tree is one of the most extensively researched essential oils, and it has been shown to have tremendous benefits as a decongestant, as well as its antimicrobial properties.
Also check out our Immunity blend, specifically formulated (with citrus and cinnamon aromas) to help boost your immune system, and our Inhale blend, which is specifically formulated to open your airways and support respiratory function.
How to use essential oils to support your immune system.
- Try diffusing your favorite essential oil from our Immune Support collection throughout the house to improve your and your family's immune systems
- Try diluting a few drops in a carrier oil and applying to the chest, neck, and under the nose
- Add 3-5 drops of Eucalyptus to a bowl of hot water. Use a towel to cover your head over the bowl. Close your eyes, and breathe in through your nose (for no more than 2 minutes at a time).
Popular essential oils and their common uses
Eucalyptus - useful for immune support, especially improved respiratory function.
Which essential oil are you going to use?
Need an afternoon energy boost? Try an energizing oil like Peppermint, Orange, Lemon or Grapefruit.
Need to relax? Try a calming essential oil like Lavender, Frankincense, or our Relax blend.
Hopefully this post helps you get a better sense of what are the best essential oils to use for what. The next time you think, "Which essential oil should I use?" come back to this post for a helpful reminder.
Download our free ebook 101 Ways to Use Essential Oils for even more tips on using essential oils.
The more you use essential oils in your day to day, the more you'll find out what works best for you personally! Best of luck, and enjoy your oils!